Thursday, April 2, 2009

On Self-Denial




I have given up desserts for Lent, and I am really starting to miss my almost daily suagr fix. I may be exaggerating, but it's like my idea withdrawal from an addictive substance. However, I am allowing myself a treat on Sundays. Otherwise, I could never make it. To cope during the week, I have been eating blueberry Ego waffles (no syrup or even butter) when I am getting desperate. I kind of feel like the Ego approach is methadone for sugar addicts. I don't really want the waffle, but it keeps me under control. Who knows what would happen if I quit cold-turkey.

Another coping mechanism (or possibly form of torture) is thinking about the desserts I will eat when Lent is over. One part of this sugarless experience that I will take away a better appreciation for what's good. I now realize that I had fallen into the habit of eating junk without even thinking. There are some things that I just don't miss. I can assure you that, from now on, my sweet treat after a long day of work--which is when I need that deliciousness the most--will not include just any factory-made cake or cheap candy bar. There will be more baking in my future!

My list of things I miss the most:
1. Cupcakes from one of those fancy little shops (if you are in the Pittsburgh area, try here and here.
2. Homemade cupcakes!
3. Ice cream from Dave and Andy's(near the University of Pittsburgh). I am devoted to their Birthday Cake flavor.
4. Baklava, especially the baklava from The Istanbul Grille in Shadyside. This is now especially forbidden fruit, since these delicacies are made with pistachios.
5.Lake Champlain dark chocolate.
I could wax on and on about everything that I would like to eat (preferably not all at once, sounds painful), but I think that is enough. I'm off to make a delicious Chicken Satay Stir-Fry. Peanut butter, soy sauce, and chicken (along with a number of other things) are really tasty together!

No comments:

Post a Comment