Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Ghost of Pizzas Past



On Sunday, Sean and I made pizza. I had wanted to make the dough from scratch, but I ran out of time. This was a mistake. Since I wanted the crust to taste freshly baked, I didn't buy a Boboli shell, the way I have before. They are rather chewy in texture. This time, I tried Pillsbury pizza crust.
The end result tasted, well, like a Pillsbury roll, and the edges on the bottom turned out black. Fortunately, our choice of toppings saved the pizza.
At my request, we used a mix of cheeses; fontina, romano and mozzarella. Sean suggested using bacon and onion, and I insisted on adding green peppers. We finely chopped the pepper and onions, so that the water coming from them wouldn't make the pizza soggy. We also used some Italian-herb flavored olive oil directly on the crust. For sauce, we added just a minimal amount of Classico Creations Fire Roasted Tomato and Garlic sauce. It was all very tasty! However, I think that time has come for me to grow up, get off the couch, and start making my own pizza dough!
While researching the best recipe for my needs ( I don't own a mixer, so I shy from things that involve the use of one--sad, I know), I realized that I could freeze the dough, and then we could have pizza even more!
I am planning on making this recipe in the very near future. I will be sure to report on how this goes. If I am successful, then the next step will be working on making my own sauce. However, there are plenty of great marinara/ pizza sauce options, so I am in no hurry for that.
Tomorrow, provided that it is still unseasonably chilly outside--a low of nineteen degrees and snow yesterday! I am planning on making some delicious (and simple!) chicken and dumplings! It's perfect for some cozy comfort food.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite tomato sauce, for both pasta and pizza, is made by cooking a few cloves of minced garlic in some olive oil, then adding some red pepper flakes and dried oregano. Next I add one 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (I like Belladoro), season, and let simmer for maybe 15-30 mintues. It's really easy, fresh-tasting, and best of all, no added sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found an easy pizza sauce in one of my favorite cookbooks, Easy Bread Machine Recipes by Rob Wanless. It is a most useful cookbook. The recipe uses up leftover tomato paste. It is thick so I like to use when I make stromboli.

    1 or 2 garlic cloves
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1/2 tablespoon fresh
    1/4 cup water
    1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh
    3 tablespoons paste
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    salt & pepper to taste

    Lightly saute garlic, oregano and basil to fragrance. Add paste, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir gently to a low simmer until thickened.

    ReplyDelete