Saturday, April 11, 2009

Bread is the King of the Table...




...and all else is the court that merely surrounds the king.
Louis Bromfield, American novelist (1896-1956)

I have not made the aforementioned chicken and dumplings yet; Thursday was just too nice, weather-wise, and I wouldn't have been able to eat meat yesterday. I am planning on making it soon, however. Maybe this week.
I haven't really been doing much cooking at all, I must admit. Tacos, burritos, sandwiches during happy hour, and some pizza have been my staples of late (I did, however, make the eggs in the photo above. I was breaking in a new pan. Judging by the shape of the eggs, it looks as though more breaking in will follow).
I think most of us fall into this kind of cooking rut, and I have a feeling that I will begin cooking again when I check my bank statement, or am unable to button my pants.
That's not to say that I haven't been thinking about preparing food for myself. I have! With Easter coming up, I can say that I have been busy purchasing food and thinking about what I will make. We are going to my sister's house tomorrow; she will be making most of the food, and I am bringing an appetizer and the wine. I will report more on that later.
I also made an excursion of sorts today. I wanted to try a bakery that I recently heard about: Jean-Marc Chatellier's French Bakery, in the Millvale area of Pittsburgh. I arrived at 1:30, and the bakery closes at 2:00 on Saturdays, so a lot of the delicacies that I imagine must have been there earlier were already sold off. However, there were plenty of luscious looking cakes and various kinds of rolls. If my sister were not making her delicious lemon tiramisu for tomorrow, I would have certainly left with one of these cakes. The pictures on the website don't do them justice.
I was at the bakery for bread, but there was none left. I justified my trip with ordering 2 croissants and one plain and one sweet brioche. I have already broken into the plain brioche roll, and I am quite pleased. Below are some pictures of my spoils.





I think another trip to Millvale will be in order. I want a black forest cake for my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment