Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Gilding the Pig




I found myself with a pork loin to cook for dinner this afternoon (actually, I put it in the freezer last week), but with no ideas for preparing it. I have been getting a little tired of this old stand-by, so I wanted to try a different recipe. Usually, I mix thyme, extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and chopped fresh garlic together, apply to the meat, and roast. I decided on a variation today, using this recipe from Epicurious for inspiration.
Now, I don't have an herb garden available for use (yet), nor do I currently have to budget to stock many fresh herbs. I also didn't have any shallots. So, I improvised. I did away with the sauce, which cut out a step. However, if I had wanted, I could have made a gravy with the pan drippings from both the browning process and the roasting itself. But my boyfriend, Sean, doesn't like gravy, and I didn't feel like making any.
After I seasoned with salt and pepper and browned the meat in extra virgin olive oil, I basted the pork with a sauce made from Grey Poupon mustard, extra virgin olive oil, and a little white wine vinegar to thin out the mixture. I also added freshly chopped garlic and herbes de provence (a stand-by in many of my dishes--if you have never used it, I recommend that you give it a try, especially if you enjoy French/continential cooking).
I gave the sauce a little taste, and it was rather tart, in my opinion. Plus, Sean doesn't really like mustard (Sean's numerous dislikes are another common thread in my cooking), so I knew he would agree. So, I added a little honey. Looking back, it's not such a huge leap, but I felt like a crazed, inspired genius at this point. Clearly, I need to start taking more risks in life if honey is making me feel rebellious.
Back to the pork. I then basted this honey mustard mixture (see, not so creative) onto the pork, and put it in the oven. After about fifteen minutes, I added more, and after another fifteen, more. But this time, I also added a combination of herbes de provence and extra virgin olive oil on top of the mustard. I should also add that my pork loin was significantly smaller than the one called for in the original recipe, so I only needed to cook mine for about forty minutes in a 350 degree oven (the usual estimation for pork loin is thirty minutes per pound).
It came out well. While my changes to this recipe were by no means earth-shatteringly innovative, it makes for a similar, though much simpler, version of herb-roasted pork loin.

No comments:

Post a Comment