Thursday, April 23, 2009

After the Feast




Now that we have learned the proper way to make bread (thanks, Gallant!) I thought I would quickly address a method for saving this delicious creation when it is past its prime (if there is any left, of course). One way that I like to prevent the waste of stale bread is to make croutons. This is not an ingenious idea, I know, but it is a very simple process, and making your own is a great way to control sodium and trans-fat intake. The entire process should not take more than thirty minutes, if that.
It is so simple, in fact, that I don't even feel the need to write a recipe. The seasonings are up to you and what is on hand at the moment.
After preheating the oven to 350 F, I start by taking some good but stale bread, enough for at least five good-sized slices. I then cut them up into large crouton squares. I do not worry about continuity. I then toss the squares with some extra-virgin olive oil and other herbs and spices, such as pepper, garlic salt, herbes de provence, oregano, or grill seasoning. Flavored olive oil is also nice, if you have some.
I then cook the croutons in the oven for about fifteen minutes, or until brown. I let the finished croutons cool, and then I store them in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment