Thursday, May 21, 2009

There's Always Room for Bread and Cheese


I often think of a story I read years ago when McD's was expanding through Europe. When they started building restaurants in France, the farmers rebelled. First they began dumping loads of manure in the parking lots. Later they opened competing "fast food" stands on roadsides near the restaurants. The farmers' stands offered a quick lunch of cheese and fresh baked bread. Sounds good, but I'm not sure how effective it was since Europe now teems with McD's. But still, I like the idea of some quick homemade bread with cheese and/or soup. Maybe for Memorial Day weekend I should be talking watermelon and lemonade, but we've had enough cool weather in May to justify occasional bread and soup.

This is a quick and simple loaf of Italian style bread. Most homemade bread loses flavor after the day it is baked. This one will too, but all of the butter keeps it moister than most and it makes great toast for days. I've had the best results with bread flour, but it works out well with plain old white flour too. Someday I'll try the artisan flour.


Italian Bread in Two Hours


4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup hot water

3 teaspoons yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 cup warm water

1 1/2 teaspoons salt
About 4 cups bread flour

1 egg mixed beaten with 1 tablespoon of water for wash
========
Start by melting the butter in the hot water. Allow this mixture to cool while preparing the other ingredients.

Place the yeast into the warm water. After the yeast begins to foam, add the sugar. Allow this to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Add in the butter/water mix, making sure it has cooled enough to not kill the yeast! Then add the salt to the mixture.

Stir in flour starting with one cup and then gradually adding until a dough ball begins to form.

Place the dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth. When kneading is finished allow it to sit for 2 to 5 minutes. Using your hands, flatten the dough into a rectangle of about 9 X 14 inches. Roll this into a cylinder shape and then, using a small amount of water on the fingers, work the ends under and into closed, classic tapered ends.

Move the formed dough onto a parchment-covered baking sheet. Allow it to rise for one hour. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. With a very sharp blade, carefully cut 5-7 slashes along the top of the loaf. Be careful to not compress the dough. Brush the loaf with the egg wash and then allow the dough to rise for a few more minutes while the oven heats. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it has the golden color and hollow sound. Allow to cool before slicing. Add some cheese and imagine you're in France. Manure pile optional.

4 comments:

  1. This bread is very good and is quick and easy to make. I think that it keeps very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this recipe yesterday and it worked out great. The dough might be the best I have worked with - it just seemed to feel the way dough is supposed to, which doesn't usually happen for me! I actually made sandwich rolls out of it. Dividing the dough into 8 equal pieces made perfectly sized hamburger buns. I also substituted olive oil for the fat, because I was out of butter (shameful, I know), but it was still very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know that it also works with olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this bread on Saturday. It's really delicious! I used 1 3/4 cup wheat flour, because I only had two cups of bread flour. I will definitely use this recipe again.

    ReplyDelete