Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Getting to be a Certain Age

Some of the more recent posts on this site point to the evidence: I have reached that point in life whereupon it is appealing to me to make homemade bread. I honestly never thought that this would happen to me. Baking my own bread seemed too complicated and labor intensive. It is easy to purchase bread of a decent quality at any number of bakeries and grocery stores.



That was before I realized that it could be rather fun to make bread. It has also proven to be more economical and not nearly as difficult as I imagined. And so, with little realization until now, I have begun this new quasi-life stage. Who knows where it will take me? I only know that I still have much to learn. One of my next projects (I think) will be to make my own sourdough starter.



This past weekend, I decided to use some leftover whole wheat flour to make two loaves of honey wheat bread. Though whole wheat bread is often very tough, this was nutty and soft (I think the presence of canola oil helped with this), with a nice, crispy crust on the outside. I froze one loaf, and I have been happily munching through the other, toasted with a little butter, for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment