Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Small Consolation:Pumpkin Spice Cookies




With freezing temperatures, harsh winds and even snow in some parts of the country, I think the best days of fall may be gone already. It's a depressing thought, but I'm sure we'll get a few more crisp, sunny days before winter. Fortunately, I was able to take a trip to Washington, DC last weekend. Fall hasn't yet arrived there, and I just love the drive through the mountains at this time of year.




I'm pretty sure that this is the kind of thing that everyone loves about fall, don't you? That, and richly flavored, sweetly spicy things, like pumpkin cookies (or maybe pumpkin bread, or pumpkin beer). It's easy to take solace in beautiful scenery and delicious baked-goods. Around this time of year, I have trouble avoiding the "pumpkin gobs" that they make at the grocery store bakery, usually right after Labor Day and until Thanksgiving. However, they're never very good, being dry and overly sweet. So, I decided to make my own, and I'm really glad I did, since I got all of the flavor and freshness the store ones were missing. No surprise there!





Pumpkin-Spice Cookies
Makes about 36 cookies

I got this recipe from Very Best Baking, which is operated by Nestle. Not very creative of me, I'll admit, but they are the superior version of those "pumpkin gobs" I mentioned above. These might also be good with some butterscotch chips and no glaze, or a 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves. Nestle recommends adding chocolate chips or nuts as variations.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (one stick)
1 cup pure pumpkin puree, lightly packed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three or four baking sheets (cooking spray works just fine).

Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Beat sugar and butter in a large bowl with a mixer until well blended. Beat in pumpkin, egg, and vanilla extract; mix until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes, then move to wire cooling racks. Allow to cool completely.

For the glaze, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Frost the tops of the cooled cookies with the glaze.

1 comment:

  1. Photos look beautiful including the cookies. Did you have a good trip?

    ReplyDelete