Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day Three: Potato Pancakes







Now it's time to use the mashed potatoes from day one. This is one of my favorite recipes ever. My mom has been making these ever since I can remember (she also designed part of the front cover of the cook book it came from).It's probably one of the first things I ever attempted to make on my own. I doubt that first batch turned out well, but I think I've finally gotten the hang of them now. The trick, I find, is to make sure the skillet or griddle is hot, and be patient about flipping the cakes. The recipe is also easily doubled. I prefer to eat mine with sour cream, but you could also use applesauce. Last night, I served my potato pancakes with chicken sausages, but they are also delicious with some broiled salmon, or maybe some soup.

Potato Pancakes
Reprinted from Young Stirs: The Pittsburgh Kids Cookbook (out of print)

One and one half cups of leftover mashed potatoes
One egg, slightly beaten
One small onion, finely chopped
Half a teaspoon salt
One tablespoon flour
One teaspoon baking powder
Dash of pepper
One to 3 tablespoons butter

Mix potatoes, egg, onion, salt and pepper in a medium size bowl. Add the flour and baking powder and mix well.

Melt one tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet. Place heaping spoonfuls in a heated skillet and gently flatten on top. Brown on both sides, two or three minutes on both sides. Gently flatten the cakes when turned. Make sure not to crowd the skillet, and add more butter as necessary to keep the cakes from burning. When the pancakes are done, place on a paper towel lined plate and add another batch to the skillet.

2 comments:

  1. I love these things. If your mashed potatoes are soft and fluffy you may need to add more flour to make the "batter" stiffer to form the pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are my favorite potato pancakes. When I order them at a restaurant, I am always disappointed because they are never as good as these!

    ReplyDelete