Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Strangest Thing

I’ve been sick with a particularly nasty cold for the past couple of days, and it’s thrown me a bit off-kilter, food-wise. As usual when I’m sick, I lay around, eating practically nothing but chicken soup, popsicles and herbal teas. Then I get really hungry, and a craving sets in.

The cravings are never the same thing, but they’re always really strong and persistent. Once, while I was in high school, it was for a big glass of cold milk. I hate drinking milk. However, these cravings must have their purpose, because I invariably feel better after consuming whatever I’m yearning for. In the 7th grade, I was so sick that I couldn’t keep anything -–even water—-down. I asked my dad to buy a can of that really sour, pulpy lemonade, the kind you make from concentrate. It did the trick.

This time around, Sean is my lucky errand boy. For two days straight, I sent him to the grocery store to buy frozen pizza. I couldn’t get enough of it. Then I realized that what I was really craving was tomatoes. Cooked ones, specifically. Interestingly, I had recently read (where? I can’t remember) that cooked tomatoes provide the human body with more lycopene than uncooked ones. Maybe my body is in need of some lycopene. It’s worth a shot.

Since I’m feeling a lot better today, I started cooking again this evening (don’t worry, I washed my hands). I had been planning on waiting for slightly cooler weather to make these, but I couldn’t resist. Molly Wizenburg makes them sound so mouthwateringly delicious in her book, A Homemade Life, that it’s no wonder I’ve been craving them.



Making slow-roasted tomatoes is a cinch. If you (or a good tomato-sitter) are able to stay home for four to six hours—-which is a given when you’re sick—-then all should be well. Two hundred degrees Fahrenheit on an oven isn’t too high, so unless it’s a really hot day, it shouldn’t make much of a difference.



In place of coriander, I used Himalayan pink sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Enjoy these in any way you might with fresh or canned tomatoes.

8 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of tomatoes, cooked or uncooked. If it's really as easy as it sounds I'll definitely have to try this. And of course I can see myself just popping all these in my mouth after they come out he he...

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good! now if only my roma tomatoes were edible - the plant is covered with really nice looking ones, but when cut open they are terrible :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't grow my own tomatoes, but some people have been saying that, in order to prevent the blight, try picking the tomatoes when only half ripe. Allow them to ripen in the window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that is working with the cherry tomatoes but I tried it with the roma and it didn't help. I did pick a bunch of them while they were still green and made fried green tomatoes, though. They were very good, so I feel like I at least got something out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to make those when I read thes book then I forgot about them. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to make fried green tomatoes. I watched the movie while I was sick and now I want to have a Southern food party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you're feeling better. I have a ton of tomatoes so I'll give these a try. Plus, I'll have the hours necessary since both boys will be in school (yea!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these last week with the dissapointing roma tomatoes from our garden. They turned out fantastic with the slow-roasting technique. I wish I had more.

    ReplyDelete