Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snow, Ice, Flour and Yeast




I've been more or less stuck in the house since Friday night. This is probably something that many of you can sympathize with. Is anyone else starting to worry that once they do get out and back to real life, they will have become agoraphobic, like a house cat? On Tuesday, I did get to the pet store (for cat food), liquor store (wine is almost a necessity when snow-bound, I find), and Target for groceries, since the Giant Eagle was unbelievably crowded. While perusing the shelves at Target, I was at a bit of a loss, since our Target store doesn't carry fresh vegetables, etc. I'd been planning on stewing some eggplant and making Chicken Masala, but clearly that wasn't going to happen.

When being snow bound, one has nothing if not time and then some more time, so it occurred to me that this would be a good opportunity to make Jim Lahey's No-Knead Pizza Dough. It requires hardly any work, but you do need 12 to 24 hours of rising time. I'd tried the bread on Friday/Saturday, and it was really good, especially for something that I mixed together and plunked in my laundry room to forget about for 18 hours!

I used 1 1/2 cups of all purpose white flour and 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour for the pizza dough, partially because a lot of people mentioned that the pizza dough was extremely floppy and hard to work with. I allowed my dough to rise for the full 24 hours, in my toasty laundry room, which seems to make a huge difference for rising dough. I had no trouble working with the dough, even when tossing it to make the crust. However, I wasn't too crazy about the strong wheat flavor with the tomato sauce, so next time I think I will use 2 cups of AP flour and 1 cup of wheat flour, or maybe even 2 1/2 cups AP and 1/2 cup wheat.

And there will definitely be a next time. I'd like to use more sophisticated and creative ingredients than a Kraft Italian cheese mix and some Hormel turkey pepperoni. I did, however, make a really good pizza sauce, which can be found in the comments section of my blog here. It's the first comment, and it was added by my sister, Rachel. It was a very easy, delicious sauce, and I'd definitely recommend using it.



Jim Lahey's No-Knead Pizza with a Simple Tomato Sauce
Adapted from Jim Lahey, Co.
Makes four 12-inch pizza crusts, with each crust serving one or two people

3 cups all purpose flour or bread flour, or a combination of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour, plus more for sprinkling
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast (it is important to use instant)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups water

In a large bowl, mix the flour with the yeast and salt. Add the water and stir until blended (the dough will be very sticky). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 12 to 24 hours in a warm spot, about 70°.

Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and lightly sprinkle the top with flour. Fold the dough over on itself once or twice, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.

Divide the dough into 4 pieces and shape each piece into a ball. Generously sprinkle a clean cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour and cover the dough balls with it. Let the dough rise for 2 hours.

Stretch or toss the dough into the desired shape, cover with toppings and bake (the pizzas will probably not be a perfect circle, but rather oblong in shape. I baked my pizzas in a 450 degree oven for about 12 minutes each).

4 comments:

  1. I too used my snowed in time to make some good food! I tried my hand at homemade pretzels and it was a complete success=)

    I should try that pizza dough, actually, because I have off for the third time in a row this week from school! And rapid rise is the same as instant yeast right?

    Your cuz,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks tasty! I'm glad you liked the sauce! I like that you baked the pizzas at a nice high temperature. I feel like a lot of pizza recipes call for a 400 degree oven, which is definitely too low to get the right flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherry,

    I saw your pretzels, and they look delicious! Yes, instant and rapid rise yeast are one and the same. Also, I forgot to mention above that I used parchment paper on the cookie sheets that I baked the pizzas on. And, I tossed the crust, placed them on baking sheets, and let them rise on top of the oven while it preheated. What a thing to forget!

    Hi Rachel,

    The pizza sauce was really good and so easy. Jim Lahey recommends cooking the pizzas for a few minutes under the broiler. I don't trust my broiler well enough for that, so I used a hot oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dad agrees that pizza should be baked at a high temperature. He also prebakes his pizza dough in the pan for 7 minutes before adding sauce and toppings. That way things don't get soggy.

    ReplyDelete