Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Replace it with Yogurt

I don't know that this is exactly the latest technique in cooking, but I find that a little dollop of yogurt can go a long way in replacing an extensive list of ingredients, including butter, sour cream, mayonnaise (I never buy the stuff), cottage cheese (ditto),eggs, buttermilk, or even regular milk. And since yogurt is healthful and contains less fat than many of the above-mentioned foodstuffs, it's a great go-to.

It can also taste better, I think. My new fiance(!), Sean, hates yogurt almost as much as he hates sour cream, mayo, and cottage cheese, but he never says no to one of my cakes made with yogurt.

Some of my favorite yogurt desserts include a yogurt lemon cake that I have previously mentioned on this blog, lemon-yogurt fritters (I love lemon, if you haven't noticed), and this cake:




The original recipe is for a chocolate chip sour cream cake. On the day I wanted to recreate this, I had all of the ingredients on hand, except for sour cream. I did, however, have some full-fat yogurt. The result is a cake that is much sweeter than it would be if using sour cream. You could adjust the sugar, if you choose. I did not make this adjustment, and the result was delicious. Most yogurt-cake recipes call for full-fat yogurt,so this is probably what you should use, too. But I wouldn't be afraid to use partial fat yogurt for this particular cake. Just don't use fat-free.

Chocolate-Chip Yogurt Coffee Cake


Ingredients:

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/4 cups sugar
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature, or slightly melted in the microwave
* 2 large eggs
* 1 cup plain, full-fat (preferred) yogurt
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup chocolate chips or as many as needed

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon and set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Beat together the butter and remaining 1 cup sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, then beat in the yogurt and vanilla. Gradually fold in the flour mixture, in 2 parts, until just combined.

Pour half of the batter into the cake pan and sprinkle with half of the cinnamon-sugar and half of the chocolate chips. Spoon the remaining batter evenly over top. Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon-sugar and chocolate chips.

Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.


P.S.
At the risk of being obnoxious, I am posting a picture of my engagement ring, by request.

6 comments:

  1. The ring looks beautiful. Are you talking about using plain yogurt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am talking about plain yogurt. Thanks for having me clarify!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Lauren! Best wishes to you, Sean and Pookie! - from Susan & PJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your ring! And, I love reading your blog.
    -from Patty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this cake in honor of Lauren's birthday. It was very good.

    ReplyDelete